My family has recently “discovered” banana bread. We are thoroughly enjoying it as a special treat throughout the week, using it as a snack and as a special breakfast along with a lot of fruit to keep things healthy. Please note this is a nut-free banana bread recipe.
I’ve adapted what’s below from Simply Recipes and it’s really delicious. I’ve made it dozens of times now and each time the loaf has been moist and a perfect balance of flavors. Over time I found I could boost the bananas and drop the added sugar for a lighter, healthier snack. Enjoy!
- 4 ripe bananas, smashed
- 5 Tbsp melted butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- a pinch of salt
- 1.5 cups of all-purpose flour
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Set aside a 4 x 8 pan, lightly grease the pan.
- Melt the butter in the microwave, throw in the peeled bananas and mash until only very small chunks are visible.
- Add the sugar, egg, and vanilla and mix again.
- Sprinkle in the baking soda and salt and mix again.
- Add the flour last and mix a final time. Make sure you’ve got every nook and cranny blended thoroughly as I’ve found the flour likes to hide in clumps!
- Pour mixture into the pan and bake for one hour. Cool on a rack, slice and enjoy
Editor’s Note: This recipe was revised in March of 2015 with a new photo and slightly updated directions. We kept the taste but cut the sugar by 50% from the original recipe and also reduced the butter a bit. Enjoy!