Today’s post isn’t so much a recipe as it is a way to show you that it’s possible to combine any veggie you want, roast them all, and serve up a tasty dish. Different veggies take different times to cook, so you have to know how to combine them well.
First some tips:
- Cut the vegetables into relatively similar-sized pieces, an inch thick or less.
- Turn the veggies halfway through the cooking time.
- Use oil or fat on them before placing the vegetables in the oven. This helps sear the outside and keeps them nice and tender inside.
- If you use less veggies, add a bit more fat. A larger group of veggies will need more fat.
- Use a hot oven, 500 degrees F.
What pan to use:
- 4 cups of vegetables – a 12 x 8 x 1 ½ pan
8 cups of vegetables – a 14 x 12 x 2 pan
- 12 cups of vegetables – an 18 x 13 x 2 pan
Below are the cooking times for various veggies. It’s fine to use vegetables from different categories in the same dish, just add them in at the appropriate time.
- Beets, small
- Cherry tomatoes
- Garlic, heads or cloves, peeled or not
- Leek whites, cut into one-inch pieces
- Onions, small, slices or wedges
- Potato wedges
- Shallots, whole, large
- Sweet potato wedges
- Zucchini, halves or halves cut into two-inch lengths
- Shallots, whole, medium
- Tomatoes, cut into wedges
- Zucchini, cut into chunks
- Bell pepper, cut into one to two-inch squares
- Italian frying peppers
- Jerusalem artichokes
- Asparagus (more like 11 to 13 minutes)
How To Cook Them
Set the oven rack in the center. Fully heat the oven to 500 degrees before you put the vegetables in. Make sure the vegetables are evenly coated with oil. Use the times above as a guide and mix and match to your hearts content.
Remember, you can cook extra vegetables at the same time (just not in the same pan) and use them later in soups and salad. They’ll add a wonderful flavor.
Happy cooking! Let us know what combinations are your favorites. We adapted this post from “Roasting: A Simple Art” by Barbara Kafka. This cookbook has been around since 1995, but you can still get it on Amazon (affiliate link).