Buffalo wings are fantastic, they taste great mostly because they are loaded with fats! These calorie-bursting tidbits become healthier when you move to the grill and focus on the seasonings. Here’s our redo of a classic recipe that will impress the guests at your next BBQ.
We also thought this would be a great recipe for a sporting event, Dad’s birthday, or Father’s Day.
- 8 drumsticks (about 2 pounds)
- 1 fresh garlic clove minced (can also use 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder)
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of butter
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of a hot sauce
- Preheat grill to 450°F
- Place the drumsticks in a large bowl
- In a small bowl, mix the onion powder, paprika, salt and pepper. Add to the large bowl with the garlic. Mix well
- Place drumsticks on the heated grill and turn about every six minutes. You’ll be cooking the drumsticks for 30 to 40 minutes
- When there are about 15 minutes left, melt the butter and mix in the hot sauce to create your buffalo sauce
- Brush on the drumsticks as you’re turning them the last two or three times
- When the meat reaches about 180°F you’re done and the meat will be just about falling off the bone (yum!)
Cooking tips: We had to prop some of the drumsticks up on their meaty parts to get them to cook properly. We also did this inside on an electric grill and it took longer than anticipated, but stayed juicy. (Yeah, I know … but we’re city people, we don’t have an outside grill!)
There is an excellent set of instructions for grilling drumsticks on the blog 101 Cooking for Two, we incorporated his techniques into this recipe (thank you!). We adapted our seasonings and buffalo sauce from the Healthy Recipes Blog (also thank you!).
The Buffalo Sauce
The big thing about the buffalo sauce is it’s a one-to-one ratio for butter to hot sauce. In a restaurant, they are going to put gallons of the stuff on, but at home you have control. I found that I used every drop of the 1 1/2 tablespoons that I mixed up, so I’d maybe go a little more on the next batch. That said, the flavor came through just fine and I really enjoyed the drumsticks.
How about you? Do you have a secret, healthier recipe for making buffalo sauce? Do you only do wings or do you think drumsticks are a good idea too?